Watching the Detectives.....................

Friday 6 May 2011

Police officer leaves burgled family due to overtime constraints


A FAMILY whose home was burgled were told by a police officer: “I’ve got to go now.”

The Miller family of Gardner Road, Formby woke up on Sunday April 17 to find their house had been raided.

They called 999 and the police promptly arrived, but after 15 minutes an officer warned them he would have to leave because he was not allowed to work any more overtime.

Two officers from Southport visited the home later that morning.

Dad Wayne Miller said: “The police came pretty quick, but at 6.45am he said: ‘I’m really sorry but I cannot stay, there is a cap on overtime.’

“I just didn’t understand that somebody there was employed to fight crime and said: ‘I’m off.’

“I said: ‘I understand where you are coming from, but I really don’t think it is the right thing to do – just to walk off.’

“Formby is a nice place to live and the council tax we pay justifies police on duty.”

The 43-year-old praised police for their response later in the day to the burglary, but is angered by what appeared to him to be cost-cutting impacting on frontline policing.

4.5.2011

No comments:

Post a Comment